View Single Post
Old 15-04-2015, 18:45   #209
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Maybe so, but the evidence that OB has found tends to show the demise of traditional linear viewing, of course we will always have "live" events, mainly in sport imo.
The evidence OB has found does not contradict what I posted above, and it does not support the argument he has made throughout this thread, that VOD means linear TV will be dead in 10 years.

It would be a mistake to project the current downward trend forwards to a point where it reaches zero. The reasons for the current decline do not support such an assumption. There are, however, plenty of reasons for arguing that a new equilibrium will be reached between various methods of content delivery. I have outlined some of those above.

I could add to that, that companies that own both platform and channel, such as Sky, have a massive incentive to continue to provide their premium content via the linear platforms they own.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote