View Single Post
Old 26-05-2017, 09:40   #1377
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
When they actually start using MPEG4 on the linear channels. The last scan data I received showed that it was used on a round number of video streams, that round number being zero. At present, MPEG4 only seems to be used for on-demand content. Let's see how things actually change when the SA V+ boxes are finally removed from service.

Hmmm... I don't know about that. In general, given more space, people just record more to fill it and watch at their leisure.
That's right, but more recording capacity is badly needed in my house. I found my V6 99% full two days ago - just got to it in time to prevent arbitrary deletions!

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
Nobody can put an exact figure on that. Even now, with MPEG2, video streams run at different bitrates. Universal HD generally has a higher bitrate than, say, Fox HD. With a 100% full TiVo you could potentially delete a 1 hour recording made from Universal HD and create enough space to record 2, 1 hour, recordings from Fox HD. Sky Sports HD channels have even greater bitrates than Universal HD. There is no accurate answer, it depends on what you record and the amount of data in the individual video stream being recorded.

The only accurate answer is that MPEG4 would take up less space than MPEG2. Exactly how much less? How long is a piece of string?

[In certain circumstances, MPEG4 can be around twice as efficient as MPEG2. That doesn't really mean that MPEG4 would double the capacity of the box. Other factors are involved.
That's interesting - thank you for that. So maybe I'll get 50% more space on my V6 all in all once all my existing recordings have been watched. That will certainly be handy.