View Single Post
Old 22-02-2012, 17:09   #60
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.
Re: Sainsbury's pull out of 'Work for your benefits scheme'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
He may have a point about Job snobs, but I've been a shelf stacker, and you don't get much training or supervision. In Sainsburys, the training I got consisted of being sat in front of a video for about 40 minutes. The Admin was filling out a couple of forms, and ordering my uniform. In all, I was out on the floor stacking shelves about an hour after starting.

So, I would argue on that point at least, he is talking out of somewhere the sun don't shine.
Ok you might not get much job training but being on the dole is much worse IMO.

So what if an hour after starting people were stacking shelves as the poles have found a job is a job and that can lead upwards a colleague of mines daughter started as a shelf stacker and is now a manager at Tesco.

Job Snobs do my head in.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
They don't - they (and others) only took part in this scheme to support it, because, as I stated earlier in this thread, there is still a lot of admin and support work involved even when someone is on a work placement (if people come to our place on a two week placement, they still have to have an induction, basic H&S training, and on the job training and supervision (which leads to the people doing this being less productive)). However, if at the end of the work placement, there are vacancies, it would be silly not to hire someone whom you had already trained and had shown the capability to do the job).

My son and daughter have stacked shelves in the evenings as summer jobs, and it takes a couple of weeks before any shelf stackers are felt capable of being allowed to do it unsupervised (as doing it wrong really peeves the customers if the stuff isn't in the right place the right way).

Trust me, work placements are not "free labour", not if you have to train and manage them.

There's an opinion piece in today's Times that puts it well, imho Times (behind a paywall)
According to stuart you can stack shelves within an hour of starting at sainburys. !

I do not deride these jobs in fact i support them all i ask is that those that do them get the going rate for the job,and not some government work for the benefit programme as this only serves as a subsidy to big buisness.