View Single Post
Old 26-11-2011, 12:41   #75
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There. I corrected your post by adding the extremely non-trivial information you somehow forgot to include.
Many people move all the time, either in order to keep their job when their employer relocates or to obtain promotion, it's commonplace.

It all depends on how seriously people wish to be in employment and/or work for VM in particular. In the current economic climate, I would advise staff to think very carefully indeed, if they are lucky enough to be jobmatched.

Of course, there will be limited circumstances where a move may be more problematic eg having seriously ill family members in Liverpool, having a partner who is settled in a good career there etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Can I ask if there was any suggestion of the costs of moving house being taken into account..It's not exactly cheap to move.
I would imagine so, most companies have some sort of relocation package. Ours is called a "disturbance allowance".

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The social cost of a long-distance job-move can be far higher than the basic financial cost of hiring a removal van and arranging house sale/purchase, though the emotional costs even of those things should not be under-stated.

I have taken the long-distance relocation option once before following a buy-out so I am well aware of the long-lasting implications, especially for those with families. I find the statement "they can move if they choose to" to be lacking in any understanding or empathy for the implications of it and I find the attachment of a smiley to that statement to be both highly patronising and, given the evident lack of understanding, misplaced in the extreme.
The smile was to indicate my pleasure that some people will be offered the chance not to lose their job.