View Single Post
Old 15-11-2017, 14:40   #3842
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l think well that is different from your stance before when you proclaimed Linear TV to be as dead as a doornail.
I never did say that, Den, and I have reminded you of that more than once.

I said that:

1. The number of traditional linear channels would start to decline from about 5 years' time;

2. The number of traditional linear channels existing in 20 years' time will be very small or non existent, due to the massively increased use of OTT services, which were easier and more convenient to use.

That was about a year ago, so you can take a year off the 5 years and 20 years predictions.

As it happens, I may have been too pessimistic about the speed of change. Two traditional linear channels have already taken the decision to go on demand only (BBC3 and ITV Encore) so things have started moving in that direction four years earlier than I thought at the time.

The posts on here clearly demonstrate a strong trend, both in the US and the UK (as well as Europe) towards OTT services, and yet you continue to bury your head in the sand and tell us this will never happen.

I am still waiting for your explanation as to why you do not agree with this prediction, particularly when the TV industry seems to have come around to this point of view also, and the evidence is building up month by month.

If you are able to provide me with an up to date link that supports your view on this matter, I would be very interested to read it.

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Oh ok so I'm potentially paying the same or more however receiving less.
How do you make that out?

You would have all the terrestrials free of charge, the Sky channels via Now TV and however many streaming services you choose to subscribe to (on monthly contracts as well!).

If you chose Now TV for your Sky and Movie channels and you used an aerial or TV Player for the terrestrials, that would cost you about £18. Add Netflix and Amazon and that's another £16 or thereabouts. So that's £34 compared with £60, leaving you to spend £26 on other streaming services when they come, or alternatively you could save that money.

So why do you think it would be more expensive?