Thread: US Timeline The Expanse
View Single Post
Old 21-07-2016, 10:18   #33
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The Expanse

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
this is the first time I have really thought about it but I think I prefer one big story like GoT and the Expanse rather than individual episodes like Star Trek. Each has their pros and cons; with individual episodes you get to expand the universe and see more individuals/locations (planets in this case) but I am all about character development and one big story really lets you sink you teeth into something (24 is another one) and make it more realistic with the level of detail.
Personally, I prefer a balance of the two. Both ST: TNG and DS9 did that, more so in their latter years, and DS9 more than TNG.

I like a balance of the two because, as you say, an ongoing plotline gives the show more chance to develop both the story and the characters, while individual episodes allow viewers a little relief from an ongoing story. DS 9 used them particularly effectively during the Dominion War storyline, which could have become a lot more depressing without them. Individual episodes also allow people to dip in and out of TV shows, without feeling they have to commit many hours to understand the story line, which they may be unwilling to do if they aren't sure they'll like a show. After all, it's easier to justify watching a show for 1 hour than it is for 24.

The funny thing is, as I get older, the three things that interest me more than anything else in a TV show or film are the story, the acting and directing. You can have the best special effects in the world, but if you don't have a good story, good acting and good directing to back it up, you don't have a good film or TV show. You have a tech demo. See the film Skyline for an example of this.

But, get a good story, good actors and a good director together, and you will have a good show or film whatever genre it is in, and you don't need a massive budget to do it (although a big budget and good special effects do help).

I could go on, but I am going off topic.. I've watched a couple more episodes, and while I think the Expanse is a better show than Dark Matter (which is so predictable you could almost sit there with a list of Sci Fi cliches ticking them off as they appear on the show), it is still veering toward being a generic Sci Fi show with good special effects, so I'm not too sure if I am going to continue with it. I certainly don't feel the excitement for each new episode that I do for new episodes of, say, Orphan Black, 24, Arrow or Sky's The Tunnel.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote