View Single Post
Old 24-08-2021, 17:00   #4153
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The issue seems to be that you've interpreted my post differently to they way it was intended. I am sorry for any lack of clarity on my part.

What I said was:

What I mean by that is that the critical issue is that there is a pro-independence government in place in Scotland for the next four years. What does this mean? It significantly increases the chances of an independence election being called.

Apart from Alex Salmond's new party, the other parties are against independence. Sure, the two parties in government won't see eye to eye 100% on everything but both are centre-left which is far closer than the two parties you used as examples. And sure, there are many reasons why someone voted SNP instead of the Green Party but the key aspect remains - for the first time there is now a pro-independence government in charge of a devolved Scottish Parliament.
I’m assuming you mean ‘a pro-independence government with a majority in the Scottish parliament’, because Scotland has had a pro-independence government since 2007. In fact this isn’t the first time Scotland has had a pro-independence government with a majority in the Scottish parliament either - it was also the case from 2011 to 2015, which is how we ended up with the referendum in 2014. With Green support, there has been a pro-independence majority in the parliament continuously since 2011.

I think you’re right, she’s after the combination of government and parliament united behind independence, but the reason she’s doing it is not because it’s a first, it’s because it’s been the case for 10 years one way or another, yet she still can’t get and win a referendum. This is just another way of rearranging the deckchairs to try to make her demands for the legal powers to hold another referendum more persuasive.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

Incidentally, if you want to read a vehemently pro-independence blogger who exerted genuine influence in the 2014 campaign, explaining why he thinks there is absolutely zero chance of there being a referendum any time in the next 5 years, I heartily commend this article:

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-sh...g/#more-130108

Quote:
The only time in history the independence movement has ever held any meaningful leverage over a UK government (Theresa May’s lame-duck minority administration of 2017-19) Nicola Sturgeon squandered it on a futile and immoral attempt to deny England and Wales the Brexit that they voted for of their own free democratic will, and then helpfully handed Johnson the election that gave him the 80-seat majority which now renders him totally invulnerable on the constitution.

So what’s coming now is five miserable years of deja vu. A Holyrood with a pro-indy majority but no will to do anything with it, just like the one we’ve had since 2016 when Sturgeon lost Salmond’s majority and became beholden to the foul, racist, misogynist paedophilia sympathisers and enablers of the Scottish Greens – a situation that it’s now possible with hindsight to see absolutely delights her.
And that’s quite possibly the only time I will ever willingly share a link to Wings Over Scotland.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote