View Single Post
Old 19-03-2010, 17:28   #2
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: PS3 advice needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroki View Post
My girlfriend wants a blu-ray player and a wdtv player for the bedroom so what I planned on doing was to get a ps3 instead and I have a few questions:-

1 - Is the blu-ray player on the ps3 as good as the stand alone players?

2 - I have a normal hd player and no external speakers so I was wondering does the ps3 downmix the audio out so that it plays out of the two speakers when watching blu-ray (as they must be 7.1 right)?

3 - Erm can they play dvd? (don't shoot me for asking this one I genuinely don't know).

4 - Can you just plug in a hdd and watch your videos from there?

5 - Can the ps3 run xvid avi files (encoded with mp3 sound)?

6 - Are the slims better than the fat ones?

7 - Is the online as good as xbox live?

8 - Are there any similar games to crackdown/prototype?

I've tried to google this just I keep getting different opinions and no confirmed answer so I went into gamestation today and I go a resounding "No" to all of my questions which didn't seem right to me, so im asking you lot as your normally more well informed

Thanks
I'll answer what I can but I'm not 100% on all the questions.

1. - In some cases yes, Especially the older model Blu-Ray players. Can always be kept upto date with the firmware updates to.

2. - I dont fully understand the question sorry.

3. - Yes and its upscales fairly well to.

4. - I know you can do this with a USB stick but never tried with a HDD. You would be able to copy stuff off onto the PS3 though I think if it didn't.

5. - As far as I'm aware yes. I know it can play xvid Avi files and MP3 audio just not 100% on the exact details. This link might help more http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...filetypes.html

6. - More energy efficent but thats about it tbh. More personal prefrence.

7. - I mostly hear no to this question but that does not mean its bad. Its come a far, far way since launch and I think its great. Still lacking a couple features but they can be patched in with firmware updates in the future. Its also free to so thats a good thing.

8. - I can't think of anything like Crackdown off the top of my head but Infamous was very similair to Prototype but imho(having played both) was 10X better. If you do pick up a PS3 I would say its a must buy.

I'm sure Matt or someone will come along and be able to answer all the questions you've posted and correct anything I've got wrong.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote