View Single Post
Old 29-02-2004, 10:57   #15
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Snodvan... Can you post details of what you want to do ? I take it you want to use internet connection sharing ?

Jonboy.... If the connection is working then there is no need to mac clone... Pls clarify !
Stu
What I want to be able to do is
a. Sit at home and use the laptop to connect to the Net via IE and sometimes to deal with mail via Outlook (I use Outlook rather than OE). At home the main access would be to the Net because I would normally access Email on the base machine so that all the files are in the folders for the one account. I would normally be in the office area so a wire connection would be reasonable. There is still a spare slot on the main PC that connects to the STB. However, if there is an option to "roam" with the thing within the house ie use it in another room, then that would be wonderful.

A lot of the use of the laptop away from home will be mundane ie to run Powerpoint presentations to people, access my information files (many of which are in historic Outlook files) and to write Word reports - and to download video and still from the camcorder/ camera.

b. Be away from home with the laptop and be able to pick up Email (main requirement) or access the Net. I have done the Email "thing" before when I used the company laptop + triband cellphone. This worked even from some strange parts of the world. I still have the phone but now I have to pay the bill!! Access was of course real slow using a cellphone. I read about an ever increasing number of wireless accsss 'hotspots' within UK but sods law says thay will not be where I want them, espcially out of UK. I have no idea at all how you access the net at such places or what sort of connection speed is attainable. I have a lot to learn.

Regards
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote