View Single Post
Old 21-02-2012, 20:00   #26
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Drought summit as rivers in England dry up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Obviously water that has already been processed at someone else's expense should be paid for, but I'm not sure that was the idea. There would be little point pumping purified water over great distances. You would pump 'raw' water between reservoirs and purify it before putting it into the distribution network in the town where it is to be consumed.

I don't buy the idea that England only thinks of the home nations whenever it 'wants something'. I listened to the Vine show as well and I heard the Plaido (Elfyn Llwyd, was it? I was under the kitchen floor so didn't catch all of it) offering up the same small-minded parochial guff we get on our own local telly and radio from the SNP. We are a United Kingdom. We distribute our resources when and where required. Wales is a net beneficiary of taxes collected in the UK, and the south east of England is a net contributor. Nobody has yet suggested that Wales should get less because it contributes less. It is part of the UK. It deserves the same as everyone else. And if parts of this island have more water than is needed, the people who happen to live where the water is have absolutely no right whatsoever to demand payment for that resource, except as would be part of the usual planning and development process.
Excellent post.

Some people have a very selective memory when it comes to issues such as these. "The English are only interested when it suits them.. blah, blah, blah..." nonsense. All the rain in Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland wouldn't repay the English taxpayer for their contribution to bailing out Salmond's arc of prosperity. That's what the UK should be about, not petty cross border point scoring.

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Amusing from someone from Brum...
How did you deduce that? Does he type with an accent?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote