View Single Post
Old 23-09-2017, 12:31   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Streamlining channel packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
The other issue is that advertising revenue for non premium channels is based on channel "reach" rather than actual viewing figures. So when a channel offers advertising space to an agency they have to base the offer on potential customers. The higher this figure the more revenue can be generated. Channels that are part of a large pack therefore get more money from their advertising than ones that don't.

A consequence of any move like this will be minority channels will dissapear at the expence of the big boys, who will just hoover up other channels & either merge or close them & give us less choice in the long run.
I accept that, but of course if the big players like Sky and Virgin do not adapt to what their customers want, those viewers will be lost anyway.

As you know, I have said on a different thread that the broadcast channels are ultimately doomed because alternatives are becoming available which are better, give the viewer more flexibility and choice, without constant interruptions from advertisements.

I'm afraid the minority channels will be the first to go under, but I cannot see an alternative that will work. Most of them are pretty low brow anyway, to say the least.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote