View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 15:11   #62
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
re: Operation Yewtree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I wonder all the time why any one would want to "play" with kids as a volunteer when not having a child of there own involved. When mine were of that age,I supported what ever they wished to join,but "left" with them
This is an example of where media hype has (I believe) damaged society. It's now thought of as weird that people who have no kids (for whatever reason, whether through choice, biology or circumstance) would want to just help kids without being some sort of pervert.

My sister, for instance, used to volunteer for our local council, supervising kids (who had problems at home and were often victims of various kinds of abuse). She would spend a week or two away at a local camp, just supervising these kids, and was frequently able to get them to open up about the problems they had. She had no kids, and didn't want any at the time. It does not automatically follow that she had sexual feelings for them.

Now, I am not saying that there aren't paedophiles. There are. I am saying that the Media (and in particular the Press) have made us as a society think there are more paedophiles than there are.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote