View Single Post
Old 17-03-2013, 14:58   #171
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Which Sky Atlantic Show

I think now more than ever SKY and Virgin are very similar in terms of the TV content they offer.

Both Virgin and SKY offer very similar catch-up services. Both offer very similar on demand services. Both offer similar TV on the go services. Both offer apps allowing remote record. Both offer boxes with hugh storage capability. Both offer a wide array of HD channels with Virgin closing the gap quickly. ESPN is due to drop out of the XL package which levels out both companies top packages.

TiVo is a great PVR however the amount of Virgin customers with TiVo is still very much in the minority. V+HD is not a million miles away from the SKY+HD box. What I'm getting at is if SKY let Virgin have SKY Atlantic, SKY Atlantic HD, SKY Sports 3 HD, SKY Sports 4HD, SKY News HD and SKY Sports News HD SKY are left will very little unique selling points at all. Why would you get a dish on your house and be forced to take broadband to watch catch-up and on demand content when Virgin would offer almost the exact same service via cable minus an internet connection? Virgin have even added lots of niche channels recently which has helped closed the gap on popular missing channels.

It's for the above reasons that I simply can't see SKY ever allowing Virgin access to the missing SKY channels. It would do more damage than good to SKY's business model.

If you look at thinks completely impartially you must recognise that SKY need to keep these channels.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote