View Single Post
Old 22-08-2009, 20:05   #51
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: Free Criminal Record Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
I have never understood how that one works in practice.

I have worked for three different defence companies, and have been cleared to BC, SC, DV and "some others" above that level. The information regarding any criminal convictions including details of spent ones are placed in a sealed envelope for the vetting agency. This information is never disclosed to the company applying for the security clearance.

I thought this was due to civil liberty reasons, the vetting agency does not reject anyone for a criminal record as far as I know apart from Treason or professional malpractice. I'm not sure how a CRB check going to any old Tom, Dick or Harry company would be allowed to disclose conviction details to an employer.
In an old role, I gained BC, SC and then one to DV security clearance. The vetting process does not reject anyone with convictions, as long as your open and honest about it. However, any security clearance you try to get and have been served a custodial sentance, they will interview you at great length.

I also, have a conviction that is now spent and don;t have to declare it but the above was pretty hard to get but i can say, honesty is the best policy.