Old 13-12-2015, 00:11   #129
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Deathcrush87 can only hope to improve
Re: need advice and help for a possible fix

Dear Horseman,

I meant the router.
many thanx for the links ^^

---------- Post added 13-12-2015 at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was 12-12-2015 at 23:43 ----------

ok everyone,

big problems.
first, the internet started to disconnect again every few minutes.
we called Virgin 2 days ago and they said the problem is within our router.

so i started researching around. some other people had the same problem.
symptoms was "No Connection" on Steam, then a yellow triangle on the connection thingy on the task bar (limited connection)
some older posts on the internet on some other forums suggested that the problem could be ports. ports were opened/forwarded.
others said it was the router's firewall. firewall got disabled.
now it gets interesting; i thought the problem was fixed. only to find this morning that the problem still happens.

second, i goofed around the security section of my router, ad while the whole internet was saying that i could not set a BQM monitor as my router does not support it, against all odds i found the option to enable supporting BQM monitor and we have it again going on!

red spikes show the disconnections.
hence, imo the router is not the source of disconnections, Virgin was BSing again and the fault is clearly on their side.
called them again, and after some torture and unpleasant chats we got them to send us an engineer this coming Wednesday.

so, I am again standing where i was when i posted my original post.
high pings are solved quite a bit, but disconnections persist.

i really like to ask those here who claimed moving to a new ISP is much of a hassle.
was this saga of mine during this period a hassle or not?
did heated up arguments between me and my landlord, me and my house mates, landlord and virgin, me and virgin and me and some "users" on this forum solved the problems?

i am very happy, that i did not listen to some "users" here and did not spend £70 on a router which would be a waste of money when the fault is on Virgin's side.
i am just salty that i spent £14 on a 30m cat5 cable which is useless now anyways, just to clear Virgin from faults.

i was polite to ppl here, i was called names.
i thanked them for their help, i got their sarcasm.

much arrogance and "i know what im saying, u do what i say" here, money and time spent, still my problem is there.

i clearly put my doubt about Virgin being a scam on my OP. what i got here was 8 pages of long notes about which router was the best to buy, how should i use super hub in modem mode and that i dont have the knowledge, and that i should trust some unknown dudes who claim they know everything.

my God.

if i knew better, i would just persuade my landlord to move away from Virgin t someone else, and we could have some working internet by now which is near Christmas time and i have lots of free time.

oh yeh, you guys know better.

Deathcrush87 is offline   Reply With Quote