View Single Post
Old 16-04-2012, 19:59   #13
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age
Re: shall i buy a NAS drive or an external ( i already have 2 1tb portables)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
No, they don't.

Wake on lan by definition only works on the LAN.

For it to work remotely, you need router support - which again, Macs negotiate automatically and PCs do not. If you have manually reconfigure external devices to get it to work then by definition it is NOT built-in.
What utter rubbish.

I have to configure my router to host multiplayer games, are you going to tell me these games do not have multiplayer built in as well?

WOL works fine remotely and takes seconds to configure firewalls for. A mac wouldn't negotiate it automatically on my network due to the settings on my external firewall, so I guess macs don't have it built in either.

Or is it built in if it works out the box in your situation only?

If the windows PC was directly connected to the internet then WOL wouldn't need any external configuration. THAT is the test of if it's built in or not. If you introduce additional factors, then that those additional items have to be correctly configured does not mean something is suddenly no longer built in, it means you've introduced something that stops it working.

Sure it might be easier to use on a mac, I'm not going to argue that, but to say that it's not built in because like many many network protocols it requires configuration of routers and firewalls if they exist, is simply preposterous.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote