Old 12-03-2012, 01:12   #97
leexgx
Inactive

Services: VM 100mb/5mb, Linksys E3200 super fast router, cable tv
leexgx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
it doesnt help that VM promote this idea stating that if you can get full speed from their own speed test server, then its the sites fault
i had that issue as well i had issues and still do from time to time with packet loss,i reported it but they kept on saying the connection is fine as it gets full speed from there test server (that happens to be inside the network) i know the site can provide full speed

my on going issue is with packet loss at the router edge or network edge (not sure what you call it), VM get there bandwidth from an provider that links to the super pipes around uk and the world and that's who is making the issues (with BT i only see these issues with bad ADSL lines as there QOS makes sure that packets have priority over speed, where as VM seems to be the other way round more so on Over loaded nodes) large amount of packet loss is not acceptable, but you should always make sure the local house to cab with VM is good as that can do it as well (power levels, SNR)

when i was on the old 20mb service i had 0 packet loss i was quite happy

most of time now i do get the full speed of 50mb as long as i am not in packet loss land
good idea to do an ping test as well to make sure you not dropping packets as if you are you get low speedtests and jumpy on FPS games (jumping back to last spot you was at if you drop to many packets)
ping google.co.uk -n 99999 -w 1000
ping bbc.co.uk -n 99999 -w 1000
-n pings constantly and -w is the timeout as it should never be higher then 1 second really it should be no higher then 100ms but google can be up to 200ms
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote