View Single Post
Old 23-11-2017, 16:54   #17
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Minimum Tobacco Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Possibly because "hardened smokers" don't buy from shops any more due to the price. This benefits organised crime in China, Russia etc.

Price goes up, less duty raised no decrease in the number of smokers. Good strategy by ASH and the anti smoking lobbying.
True, most smokers that I know now use the black market because of the cost. ISTR reading somewhere that about 50% of smokers now do this.

My opinion on smoking is that, as long as adults are fully aware of the health risks and other people aren't affected, they have a right to do so.

I argued against a unilateral smoking ban in pubs. Smoking rooms with a warning on the door or smoking & smoke free pubs at the discretion of the licence holder would have been a better idea.

Also, I believe that other taxpayers shouldn't bear the cost of others smoking and they don't. Only about 20% of taxation on tabacco is needed to compensate the NHS, the rest is pure profit for the treasury.

If everyone stopped smoking tomorrow, the Government would face a financial hole in its finances and could mean an increase in income tax for the rest of us.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote