View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 21:22   #3
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Static IPs, Routed Subnets, GRE tunnels, poor performance and "The Fix"

The older (no longer on sale) 50 Mb/s routed subnet option was delivered on a SuperHub1 with business firmware. As vm_tech says the tunnel was indeed an L2TP tunnel not GRE. The SH1 was assigned a further IP address via DHCP but from a 'static pool' (!) that acted as the L2TP tunnel endpoint. The same thing happens with the Hitron based service, except the tunnel is a GRE tunnel.

Several people have indeed reported an issue with the static IP address service, which seems to affect some, but not all customers.

I had reason to talk to tech support last week due to a performance issue, but that was related to an SNR area fault not fragmentation. I did enquire about the 'fix' and was told there is a target date of 19th August to roll out that fix. Of course that could change.

What I was told by a product manager was that the fix was mainly with core infrastructure, though I do know people have mentioned a firmware update for the Hitron as well.

The Hitron does use a PUMA 6 chipset. The latency / jitter issues seem to not affect it in the same way as the Sh3. There was a firmware update, but also the GRE tunnel appears to mask some of the effects of this as well, so whether the firmware addressed the issue or the GRE tunnel masks it I am not sure. However I can confirm I now have the full 24 downstreams and have a clean ThinkBroadband graph.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote