View Single Post
Old 17-04-2012, 12:43   #24
metmanuk
Inactive

metmanuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Laser Eye Surgery - Anyone had it?

Had Lasik done by Ultralase in 2001. They have been doing that type of surgery the longest. My surgeon did a 'halfway job' so that my long sight is not perfect and neither is my near sight. However, I use to wear varifocals (horible things) and after the op I did not need to at all, even for computer work. However, although I do not need glasses for driving, I have got distance glasses for night time driving - my optician said it would be more comfortable. Also, I find my eyes take a time to change focus from far to near (eg its difficult reading a menu after driving a distance to a restaurant). I also have reading glasses for low light levels.

Myopia (needing to wear reading glasses) is an age thing which is caused by the eye muscles weakening as you get older so, to my knowledge, laser surgery will not cure it yet although I believe they are working on it.

Just remember a few things; Its surgery and is therefore NOT 100% predictable and that applies to EACH eye. You get lots of pains and discomfort in your eyes but generally your brain filters them out. For the few weeks before surgery, try to remember every single pain or uncomfortable feeling you have in your eyes. Then, after surgery, you will find there is little difference - I think not doing this is why a number of people report problems.

Its been eleven years a well worth the £2k. I did lots of research beforehand. Which? did an article and found no real problems. Yes, there is a risk, but its very very small - go for it!

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I've just gone into that territory.
I hated having to sit upright to watch TV...... and forever trying to get glasses clean ..... and walking in the rain .....
metmanuk is offline   Reply With Quote