View Single Post
Old 23-07-2017, 16:32   #13
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Charlie Gard: Death threats sent to Great Ormond Street staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's not just social media. The hospital are saying people are coming up to them on the street if they're wearing anything by which they can be identified. It's a sick mind that abuses people whose job is working in a children's hospital.

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

Everyone just seems to be full of hate all the time.
I'm not surprised but those people have likely seen the stuff on social media first. It's not acceptable, fair or pleasant but it's what happens these days sadly and IMHO social media is largely responsible for spreading the extreme anger/hatred. Osem Jnr # 2 was treated at GOSH when he was a lad so I have no reason to have anything other than great respect for those who work there even though I disagree totally with their intention to end that young boy's life.

The ordinary council staff in Kensington had nothing to do with the Grenfell Towers tragedy yet they were confronted by an angry mob baying for blood and it wouldn't have taken very much for something really serious to kick off. Who was responsible for that? Rumours, wild claims, inflammatory remarks made, published online, exaggerated then republished soon creates anger and hostility based on very little. Sick minds hell bent on stirring up trouble amongst vulnerable and angry people did that. Just look at the anger being created by the propagation by certain politicians, 'community leaders', advisors etc. about the supposed police cover up re the number of dead. Pure stirring and political opportunism.

Everyone seems to be full of hate because social media propagates it and far too many people spend far too much of their time on it. I don't so my view is different. They have a direct interest in generating traffic and hits and so far seem to hev resisted any serious attempts to get them to be far more rigorous in removing this stuff from their sites. That's not surprising given the amount of money involved in those businesses. What, in the past, would have been an idle threat or two from some sad people suddenly gets picked up on, amplified then goes viral then the inevitable bandwagon jumping starts. People like Farage and Trump have been the victims of the most terrible abuse yet nobody much took it seriously - fair game they are apparently. I dare say a lot of people complaining about the abuse of GOS staff don't care quite so much when it's someone they don't like.

What people need to realise is that what goes around comes around and those playing nasty on the internet with anyone who dares to disagree will eventually be on the receiving end of similar nastiness. It feeds on itself and yes it will continue to escalate unless something is done to control the posting of threats, abuse etc. online. Loony lefties think it's just fine and cool to parade with effigies of the PM's severed head on a pole and their political leaders either condone it or say nothing.

Thankfully we're not yet at the point where these threats often translate into anything much more than hot air but we need to be careful about what's happening in front of our noses.

Last edited by Osem; 23-07-2017 at 16:48.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote