View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 22:16   #158
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: [MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Marty, I think we're arguing from two different points here. We all accept the CofE is allowed to define marriage within it's own faith however it wants and can refuse to perform gay marriages in it's churches.

Do you think however that it should apply to society as a whole, including those who are not members of the CofE or have no faith at all? That's the bit I have a problem with.
That's just it though ,strictly speaking they aren't allowed to "define marriage" it is an absolute defined by god .I know that changes have happened but the basic principle has always remained the same ,a union between man and woman .

Quote:
Do you think however that it should apply to society as a whole, including those who are not members of the CofE or have no faith at all? That's the bit I have a problem with.
Yes it should ,those that are not religious should have no interest in a ceremony held in the presence of a god they don't believe in .As far as civil partnerships are concerned i think they should carry the same right in legal terms as a religious marriage ,which i believe they do ,in this country anyway but should not be referred to as marriages