View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:13   #9
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads
Re: New To CF and would like help/advice re: Super Hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
Had mine installed on Wednesday, quite a few problems after the engineer left, most sorted after a reboot. I have an external drive which couldn't connect, but luckily I also have a son who works in IT, sorted.....

The only problem now is I cannot access the wife's e-mail from her wireless connected laptop. It's an old ntlworld address, and I now understand it can't talk to the servers? I've tried all the "fixes" on Virgin help and other forums, but looks like she'll have to change her e-mail address.

So my advice -- Approach with care.
I had no problems with e-mail to the old ntlworld.com address but did have major problems with a new virginmedia.com e-mail I created for my wife's laptop. It had nothing to do with the Superhub and arguably nothing to do with Thunderbird but more to do with virginmedia's default settings.

The first requirement that is required is that you can access the account via a browser as no access via that route will thwart everything. Access is via "my virginmedia" or whatever it is called.

The default within the advanced settings is they switch on Pop3 and IMAP . Having both settings throws Thunderbird into total confusion as it just sits in an endless loop not knowing what to do. Uncheck IMAP and Thunderbird is happy with just Pop3 and just polls as normal and leaves with what it requires.

The first check is via browser because failure at that point is down to VM but beyond that settings can throw mail clients,

I am no fan of the Superhub but the only real problems I see are the forced use of VM's DNS servers and the totally pathetic wireless range. When bridge mode becomes available I will be looking to bypass the inbuilt router and putting a router of quality on the back end of a Superhub which I hope will become a standalone modem.
Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote