View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 15:23   #20
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Are Smart Meters a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
I know a couple of countries in the Finland/ Denmark area threw them out over privacy concerns but I can't find which two
Norway
Quote:
In Norway, the Smart grid priorities are partly driven by the regulator (e.g. the requirement in Norway to implement smart meters by 2019-01-01 and partly by new technologies and challenges such as distributed generation (e.g. small hydro, PV), adoption of electrical vehicles, new challenging electric devices such as induction stoves, fibre-to-home communication, smart phones etc.
Sweden
Quote:
100% Smart Meter roll-out in Sweden
Denmark
Quote:
The Danish Energy Agency has declared that all electricity meters must be remotely read by the end of 2020. This announcement and the ensuing roll-out of smart meters for the MV Group are the manifestation of the Danish Government's progressive Smart Grid Strategy [2013]. The strategy’s purpose is to make the grid intelligent and ready for the green transition.
Finland
Quote:
Switzerland’s Landis+Gyr has heralded progress on the rollout of smart meters in Finland, claiming smart meters have now been installed in 98% of the country’s households.

The figure makes Finland one of the most advanced countries in Europe in terms of its ability to meter electricity consumption at the residential level.
Landis+Gyr (Zug, Switzerland) claims to have delivered more than one million smart meters to a number of Finnish energy companies, which equates to one meter for every third Finnish household (there are approximately 3.2 million metering points in Finland).

It has also been involved in managing old and new meters, systems installation and integration and comprehensive field-testing.
The progress report indicates that Finland is well ahead of smart metering targets, with legislation introduced in 2009 requiring 80% of households to have smart meters installed by the start of 2014.
That leaves Iceland, with it's population of just over 300k - I can't find anything regarding smart metering for them.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote