View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 19:04   #788
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
But, Hugh, this relates to the next 10 years. There are technical reasons why a subscription only BBC will not work in the short term.

Fast forward 20 years and you will get a different perspective.

A common mistake on this thread is to look at the present rather than the future.
Could I point out that to try and forecast technology directions, and consumer adoption/reaction for 20 years in the future is problematic.

20 years ago, the height of hand-held technology was a Nokia 6310, and mobile technology meant a 7lb laptop with a 13" screen, and UK satellite and cable TV was in it's infancy - no one could have forecast that we would have a handheld device that was a phone, a camera, a cine camera, a voice recorder, GPS, radio, TV, film viewer, games console, messaging system, video conferencing, etc etc., all in one handheld device.

You, or I, have no idea of the technology utilisation in 20 years time.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote