View Single Post
Old 25-01-2017, 00:01   #985
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

I am really annoyed with myself. I have just wasted 15 minutes typing out a massive long post telling your to ring customer services because I thought that you had an ambit250 and I explained the limitations of it.

I'll keep it short and sweet now. The ambit256 is a 4 channel modem and can handle 70mbits no problem; I had mine on 120mbits for ages before I upgraded to 200mbits and needed a shub. Whilst it is more than capable of handling the speed, I am not sure it will actually work. A config file has to be written for it and as this particular model is very old and the 70mbits tier is fairly new, I am not sure they would have written a config file for it. Tbh I would ring customer services tomorrow and pretend you are confused and concerned that it isn't going to work. They'll defo post a new shub out to you and the chances are that they'll also upgrade you over the phone and the speed increase will take effect when you activate and register the shub.

You have done well keeping the ambit256 for this long, it is a cracking mode. I haven't got time to look up your router now so I don't know how old it is. I would definitely check the wan to lan throughput and make sure it can handle the speed increase.

Another word of warning. Once you get the shub, hook it up, register it and let the latest firmware come down, the very first thing your need to do is go into the gui and put it in modem mode so you can continue to use your current router as you are now.

As a further bit of info for you, the maximum downstream rate has nothing to do with what the modem can physically handle, it is the speed VM provision you for which in your case is 20mbits. When you get a shub and the speed increase you will see it change to something like 77000000 for 70mbits even though the shub is good for 400mbits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
You need to call Virgin, the Ambit modem has a maximum speed of 20mb
no it doesn't
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote