View Single Post
Old 20-09-2016, 22:15   #980
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
The difference in speed will depend on a number of factors.

The speed you get by plugging your computer directly into your modem by ethernet cable will be faster than the speed received wirelessly from a router.

I had problems with my speeds and despite having an I5 laptop and an I7 laptop being given the same speed at the modem the I5 laptop was significantly slower than the I7.

Unfortunately, having your speed upgraded also means having your hardware upgraded, especially the processor and the network/wireless unit if you want to benefit from the increase. Hope that helps.
Thanks for hints, I'm happy with the speed to the individual devices, some of the older devices wont go beyond 30Mb on wifi but its the overall bandwidth to the house that I'm really interested in with four teenagers we have a ridiculous number of devices connected to the router. Which is high throughput Nighthawk x6. I guess as the other responses have said, its really all down to the Network and traffic management.

What makes this interesting isoif the 100Mb is throttled to say 70Mb then BT Infinity2 is potentially faster and potentially cheaper.

Time for serious think.
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote