View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 16:32   #1747
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
Well guys, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but you will see quite a few here and a few of the early reviews, that are not just rewrites of the press release, disagree.

I get that a lot of people are not "4K ready", technologically or emotionally, but there is little doubt it is "next-gen". And "occasional red button stuff" does not really adequately describe the ability to watch and record in your absence 4K sport, or the ability to watch some Sky Atlantic shows in 4K/UHD at the time of first broadcast.

Mini boxes with no HDD are cheaper, more suited to quiet environment, like a bedroom and need no cabling. it is these things, not the size, that gives them the edge over a whole 2nd box.

Using the same size HDD as 6 years ago is odd.

Interfaces are a personal thing, I accept.

If you have no interest in these or the other things I listed that's fine, there may indeed be little noticeable difference to you. V6 will I am sure be good enough and, as you say Nialli, it sure is a step up from the 6 year-old TiVo!. But for those who are looking for a next-gen TV box the V6, with it's largely dated specification (4K "capability" aside) is not it and there is a lot more difference to those that do care for Sky Q's capabilities than "marketing".

ps. Do you really ever find yourself needing to record more than 4 things simultaneously? I know it's possible but....!

pps. I too read and have sometimes commented on your blog Nialli. It's been really useful over the years. Thanks for your service to the community

I just don't get it Jong. As I understand it Jong; you are with Sky for TV, and happy with it. Is that correct?
If so, why are you spending so much time on here moaning about the V6?

It reminds me of many years ago, when the Mac boys were constantly trying to prove that Macs were better than PCs. The PC people generally just got on with it just using there PCs and ignoring the Mac people. The truth of it was, both were as good and it was a case of each person's preference regarding their individual needs.

Mac people trying to prove, 'mine is better than your' smacks a little of insecurity to me. They needed to get over it and realise that it was just down to personal choice.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote