View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 22:38   #4
TonyHoyle
Inactive

TonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about them
Re: V+HD vs new Tivo?

Tivos recording is smart.. for example if your series links clash it'll automatically reschedule another recording for later (the one you want 'now' and the one you want 'later' is settable using priorities).

It picks up on things you like and suggests other things. You catch a lot of new series that way (I often miss lots of stuff because nobody tells me about it until it's nearly on its last episode, then some says 'have seen zzz.. it's really good' and I've missed the lot. Never happened to me with Tivo - invariably it'd suggested the series before anyone even mentioned it - and I found a load of stuff before anyone else).

Wishlists can be set on individual actors, or genres, or all sorts of other information (it's the rich EPG that allows Tivo to be so smart).

Apps and stuff don't interest me that much, although the Tivo ipad interface sounds pretty nice.

And yes, Tivo is worth it. With a Tivo you view TV in a different way - instead of worrying about things like schedules and channels you can just look at what's available, watch some, thumb them up/down and never have to look at the EPG.. that's Tivo's job.. like a personal butler.

(getting deja vu.. I had this conversation hundreds of times 10 years ago except then the question was 'Why is Tivo better than my VCR?')
TonyHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote