View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 16:42   #35
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Government to monitor Internet Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Hi, Echelon!
I said they are not interested, not they are not listening.

Quote:
I agree entirely; it throws the most fundamental principle of justice - presumed innocent until proven guilty - in the bin. But my question is this:

Since they're the ones in power, making the rules and the laws, how the bloody hell can we stop them?!

And please don't naively say 'We can vote them out' - two problems with that: 1) Until the General Election comes up we can't, so what happens in the meantime? 2) Who's to say the next lot will be any better? I'm not holding my breath.
If you think that putting a cross on a ballot paper every 4 or 5 years is our only contribution to democracy then we would all live in a dictatorship.
Complain if you are unhappy about something the government is doing or not doing. Write to newspapers, write to your MP and make you feelings know. If you feel very strongly on a particular subject find others and get organised. Make others aware of the problem and ask them to write and complain also.

Quote:
What's the use of using VPN for everything? They'll just take that as an excuse to say 'Ooh, what's he got to hide, then?' - failing to understand, as the last several UK governments have failed to understand, that there is a qualitative difference between a desire for privacy and having something to hide! Next thing you know, using any secure communication method will be outlawed to all but the powers that be. Oh, they'd love that, wouldn't they? I wouldn't put anything past them. In the US, for example, the NSA's atttitude seems to be that no-one except the US Government, i.e. they themselves, should be allowed to use encryption. Criminal suspects are required by law to surrender encryption keys...yet there's no mention of the good old Fifth Amendment.
<SNIP>
Right now the only people using VPN are people that have to for work or people that have something to hide, so it's a short list of people to investigate if criminal or terrorist activity is suspected. If they start monitoring everyone who is transmitting in the clear then more people will start using VPN's and it becomes harder for the security services because the list of people keeping secrets is larger.

I suspect monitoring everyone will do little to prevent terrorism and if it goes through my guess is we will be reading in the papers in a year or twos time how it has been misused.