View Single Post
Old 29-08-2015, 23:26   #9
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: Help with automatic driving

I think what most automatic drivers DO, is hold it on the footbrake in D - the easiest, but not the safest.

N and handbrake is like manual (do not try to engage P unless actually parked and switching off - will often not release the key unless in P. P is also deliberately difficult to engage, requiring a double action of button or side+forward shift, as you do not want to slip into it accidentally!!!!)

The tough question, is D + handbrake acceptable? - I'll usually convert to that if I'm facing uphill, so that there is no chance of a rollback if the creep is insufficient to hold it when moving from brake to accelerator.

PS. If the "automatic" is anything other than a traditional torque converter type, then greater care is needed on (hill) starts, as it has an auto-clutch (tried a CVT once and hated it, as the intial clutch takeup was uncertain if treated too gently, and harsh if treated more firmly - by then, I was well used to my torque converter auto.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote