View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 16:49   #7380
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You seem to be changing your argument every day OB as first you said it was inevitable that Sky would lose the big Premier league rights to the big new shiny rivals and now you seem to be backtracking from that stance and now say you are not so sure so which one is it? as my stance has always been the same for the simple reason in that Sky will not give up the big PL football rights in a month of Sundays even if the bidding rights auction increases by 20% plus and even if it means higher prices for customers as do you think the streaming giants are suddenly going to win these rights by bidding £6 or 7 billion and then do you think they are going to be giving it to their subscribers for diddly squat because if you believe that then you need to come down from the planet Zarg as that ain't going happen and the sooner you realise that the better.
I'm not changing my argument at all, where did you get that from? I said 'the big question is, will they do so?' But I was merely reflecting the fact that you and some others were denying this will happen. Clearly, I don't agree with that view and I think change is inevitable.

Your view that Sky would pay anything to retain these rights does not make business sense, has been contradicted by Sky itself and is clearly nonsense. Sky know perfectly well that the more they put up prices now, the more subscribers they will lose and piracy will start to go through the roof. If customer resistence results in subscribers leaving in droves, where's the profit coming from? You yourself remind us constantly that these companies are purely motivated by profit and you come out with this!

You are clearly not listening to the reasoned arguments being made here. An Amazon type global player will come in with a different model if they wish to break into this market as I firmly believe at least one of them will - if not this time, then next. This will enable them to bid high but then recoup their money by reducing the price of subscriptions. That will attract more customers and will help in the fight againsy piracy. Instead of hogging matches to itself as Sky does, it would bring in other platforms, for which they would be charged. The terrestrials would be able to buy selected matches as well. Basically, a range of new ways would be introduced to make money from these rights. They would not tie one hand behind their backs as Sky does as a result of its overwhelming desire to force as many people as possible to use its own platform to receive content. Whether people subscribe via their own website, through Sky, VM, BT, Talk Talk or wherever would not matter because they would still get their share of the revenue.

It's time to take off those blinkers, Den, before the reality hits you between the eyes!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote