View Single Post
Old 22-10-2017, 14:32   #127
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Catalonia Independence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
And as I said, conveniently unconstitutional.

And in reply to the underlined bit, I am not talking about Spain's police, I am talking about the EU.
If you read the Economist article, you'll realise that your statement " The Catalonia Referendum on Independence, wasn't classified as illegal right up until the eve of the vote" is wrong.
Quote:
But there is a problem: Spain’s democratic constitution of 1978, which was approved by more than 90% of Catalan voters, gave wide autonomy to the regions but affirmed “the indissoluble unity of the Spanish nation”. Only the Spanish parliament can change the constitution. Mr Puigdemont’s referendum is therefore illegal, and Mariano Rajoy, Spain’s conservative prime minister, is determined to prevent it taking place.
And as others wiser then me have explained, you can't have any part of a country calling a referendum. That would be a recipe for chaos. They need to abide by the constitution of the country and that constitution will vary between sovereign states. Even if Canvey Island fancies a bit of independence. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/r...-a3660471.html
I've already explained my feelings on the EU.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 22-10-2017 at 14:39.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote