View Single Post
Old 25-04-2017, 01:41   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Lack of eye contact could be "micro aggressive racism".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Wait, so they have special "Networks" for BME, DSN and LGBT+ (Wtf is + ?)

They are so two faced and contradictory.
They go on about racism, but have a special Black / Ethnic Network, how discrimatory is that ?
It used to be Lesbian, gay, bisexual. Then transgendered was added on, then intersex and then queer.

I guess it's all becoming a bit of a mouthful, so I assume that some institutions have stopped at T and started using +!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Networks/groups for various minorities have long been common in universities as a method of support and discussion. That's not really in the same bracket as the lack of eye contact thing. People who are disabled, people who are LGBT or Black/other minority might have experiences the majority of people do not have and would want to talk to others who've had similar experiences. I don't really understand what any of those would be precisely but then I am in that majority.
I can understand this and the reasons behind it, but it can cause problems.

I was once at a festival and saw some white people arguing with the doorstaff because they wouldn't let them into the People Of Colour tent. Their argument was that white was their colour.

Another time I was at an evening celebrating successful black businesses. One of the speakers urged everyone to favour black businesses over using white ones; I did wonder what their reaction would be if someone white had urged people to use white businesses over black ones!

In addition, men only places are frowned upon and possibly illegal, yet when women wish to be alone it's "women only space"!

In essence I think that it's a good thing that minority groups mix with the wider community, whilst remembering that 'birds of a feather flock together' for mutual support and understanding.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote