View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 18:46   #170
RizzyKing

Re: Pensions - no wonder there are strikes

The problem we have is one of attitude workers in a way rightly expect what most workers they have known had which was to retire at 65 and be comfortable mostly. Trouble is we are all living longer and as we live longer we need more expensive medical treatment and care and paying for this is becoming and is going to become a masiive problem in the future. We have to sort this out and there has to be a way that both sides not like but can live with. As i see it right now neither side are right on this issue you have the government that wants to do it all in one go and the unions that want to spread it out to the next generation.

That next generation is already shafted as it is in paying for the past is it really fair to lumber them with another bill because we didn't sort out a problem that was well known for a long time. Reasonable and realistic people need to start getting involved in this and the mouths on both sides need to be put to the side. Is there a solution for this both sides can live with i honestly do not know but i know at the minute no one is even looking for it just convinced they are right and digging in deep to defend. Private sector pensions are getting hammered by what is going on in the financial sector and whilst some may be ok others will not even be close to ok and that is bound to cause discontent between public and private and it is valid for that discontent to exist.

This whole argument is a catalsyt for our society at the minute everyone is fighting for themselves and not fighting for each other though some on both sides claim to be doing just that. This is a problem that will directly or indirectly affect every single member of our society and we need to be tackling it as a united society to come up with an answer not as a fragmented society as we are now.