Thread: TiVo
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 16:17   #1510
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Angry Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
I’ve read here that VM have over 20,000 existing customers declaring a wish to purchase Tivo and they will do 5000 by end of March? With that demand you would expect VM to charge.

Ultimately the Tivo price will come down there will also be the smaller cheaper Tivo box later this year as well.

It is a case of whether you want to pay premium as an early adopter or wait a year or 2 say and hope for a lower price, although on this demand it may be several years before the price is lowered!

VM and Sky rightly work on different models so it is a preference to what you want in the end. I like the VM model personally and don’t have to think about the cost of repairs if there is a problem.

However customer who expect all this new service/technology for nothing, are simply being unreasonable in my view, it’s just not practical for a commercial organisation and such costs have to be covered somewhere; so better to be specific to the product rather than a general cost of service.

I have a V+ box today, actually purchased at £45 around 3 years ago when VM put a special offer on their web site for new customers only but didn’t say this initially on the site, so existing customers could order before they corrected their mistake and increased the price to a £75 (so I was lucky).

So if you wait you will get a lower price in time, but suspect it could be 2012 at this rate on Tivo.

For the record I am registered for Tivo and I expect to pay the £189 price as I want it now!!

Forgot to mention that haven’t VM said they want to deploy the Tivo software on existing boxes where possible (Samsung V+ hasn’t got the CPU/memory power I suspect but SA V+ has and the Cisco HD only box is also OK?). It may be a cut down version of Tivo features with none of the Internet/apps features, but it may well be the new UI and useful new features like the 7 day in the past EPG and record whole programme if in the live recording buffer. That is my guess work but they have certainly mentioned deploying Tivo software to current devices so customers who do nothing may get some of the benefits of Tivo anyway.
I work it out that if they do 5.000 by the end of march then to do 20.000 will take until the end of of November l hope this is not the case as people will not be happy waiting this long seeing they told us that it would be coming out in late 2010.