View Single Post
Old 30-11-2008, 18:37   #174
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
That's a very specious argument.
Nope, it's a very correct one.

You're not taking money from them as they never had your money in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke View Post
It is irrelevant which act applies. It IS theft and it IS an offence. End of..
No, it's very relevant which act applies, as the theft act DOESNT, it's NOT theft, however it IS an offence.

Infact, saying someone who uses dodgy boxes is a thief is technically slander.

You can't "End of" and expect to be right when you're wrong. You might think it's theft, but you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremus
True, you do have a point about the exact definition of the term "theft", but my comment was really more aimed at highlighting how relatively unimportant an offense this is, both in the eyes of the law and the cable companies.
Indeed, my point just shows how even more unimportant it actually is. It's nowhere near theft on the punishment scale, and most of the time you'd just get a fine, or even a police caution for it.

Now, to get back on topic, anyone else notice they're really pushing the report dodgy boxes thing? there was a section in Play that was with this months bill about reporting people with them. I wonder how many people will actually bother as a huge amount of people seem pretty open about having them and in near enough every pub you can find someone who can sort you out with one so it's not like people are hiding underground with them.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote