View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 21:21   #5430
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I went ahead and disrupted everyone's lives anyway. I connected my main PC to the SH3 in modem only mode. There was a network connection, but sadly no internet connection.

Currently in router mode and having no drop outs. Going back to modem only mode shortly.
Okay, when plugging different devices in when in modem mode, you have to be careful how you do it or you won't get a valid external IP address. You absolutely definitely can't hot swap (i.e. unplug one device and plug another in while the modem is switched on) and even rebooting the modem doesn't always release the previous lease(s). The best way to get around this is to put the hub in modem mode, then power off the hub, unscrew the coax cable, then power the hub back on and wait a few mins (with the coax still removed). After about 2mins, screw the coax back in (With the hub still switched on) and give it another 2 or 3 mins. You should connect and get allocated an external IP. If it hasn't connected after 5mins, reboot once more.

There's a fair bit of ceremony to get that to work, but it's the only sure-fire way I know of to change devices when in modem mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
A question for you Seph. One of my main reasons for having my own router is that I can use VPN with no trouble. My expat friends use my facility so they can easily access BBC iplayer etc, plus I use it for security when out and about using public wifi. Is it possible to use my ASUS just as an AP whilst still using it as a VPN server? Presumably the IP it is allocated can be used for VPN.
You should be able to just disable DHCP on the Asus and stick it in the DMZ, more or less the same result as modem mode, just the superhub is allocating IP addresses (which means you can't assign DNS, IP's, etc. or anything easily). The VPN should work the same.

Note that your external IP address will be different when in router mode and whenever you plug a different device in when in modem mode.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote