Thread: Allotments
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 16:30   #155
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Allotments

I've never grown them together and it appears to me that the heavy feeding habits of tomatoes might affect the strawberries. I grow Basil with tomatoes though as they seem to like the same conditions.

Peas and strawbs might work as the peas would supply extra nitrogen, but that could cause "more green. less fruit". I think it's sunlight, not heat, that ripens them, and always pick at max ripeness for best flavour, That's why shop-bought ones are watery. And eat as soon as possible as they won't improve, they'll rot.

Alpine strawbs go almost black when ripe, and they are my favourite "sweeties" as I forage around the garden. Hardly any make it into the house. I get my 5-a-day in minutes in the garden.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote