View Single Post
Old 15-02-2017, 09:08   #157
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: UK Exit of EU (Brexit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It's useful to understand the issues surrounding Brexit. There's nothing defeatist in that, it's called being sensible.
In forums as in life, I prefer to play the ball and not the man. I commend this approach all round.
But if you are playing Rugby ....

OK so there are more complications to leaving than maybe the public were aware of, but many difficulties can be raised by bureaucrats on all sides who see there power being sidelined. The problem with the EU wasn't free trade or many other aspects we enjoy but that there was/is a perception (even if not true) that the UK was on the "losing" side of the equations. Free movement meant mass immigration, loss of control of some aspects of our legal system (sometimes to the benefit of individuals), unelected Eurocrats dictating how we should behave.

I think it's the latter that was a real issue. The UK has a very different outlook generally to much of the rest of Europe and so diktats from the EU were (perceived as) having an unfair bias against the UK. Now this may just be reticence by some to adopt to "new and better" but it seems to be bourne out by voting patterns in the referendum. Areas that have seen benefits to membership or at least not affected adversely voted to remain while others who have seen less benefit and have (perceived) adverse effect voted to leave.

Many things now being raised are removed from everyday life and many will get a pragmatic solution because they need to be solved and politics can just take a back seat. ATC would be a case in point. Planes need to fly, need to be controlled and so on so a solution will be found and it probably will continue to function pretty much as now at least at a practical level. Customs, why not just relabel the "blue" channel for UK and EU source, as long as our end does the same? Of course the politicians, lawyers and so don't like this, it's too sensible and doesn't help them keep their paying jobs and quangos running.

Last edited by tweetiepooh; 15-02-2017 at 09:29.