Thread: TiVo
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 13:38   #6100
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
I suppose all Sky+HD 1TB offers over a standard box is extra storage, so take up over a "free" box would be lower.

More HD is certainly something VM are adding this year, I can't go in to specifics at this time due to confidentiality. VM did however provide this announcement in their price rise email

April is the normal price rise time for VM, they added a lot of content over the last 12 months, especially HD channels.

You can't really expect channels to be instantly added on the 1st of April... they are coming though.
Fair enough, let's all wait and see. Even though I don't have my main channels with VM now it's well in my interest for them to add more as all it would take for me to return to VM is a phonecall in a year's time.

You could be right about Sky's box, I still couldn't find the article but i'm sure he compared it to some other consumer hardware that is limited in reach but a necessary part of their offer. I accept that functionally (but not technically, not at all and not just the HDD) it is the same as the standard box I just cannot help but suspect 1TB is overkill. No bias there, I think both boxes are too big for an average punter like me. It goes back to something I have said many times, how many 1TB boxes do you see on the highstreet. And in VM's case they have that much streamed catch up and OD content do the masses really need it?

But I am on record as saying that when VM get that cheaper box out and widen it's availability I think they could have a pretty successful product on their hands.

But I suspect not at the current price though and only being available to XL customers even though I think the hardware cost is more than reasonable. The poll results are interesting particualrly when the respondents are members of a forum like this and have gone out of their way to register for the service. But maybe the figures are in line with VM's expectations though or even better, you will know better than me.

Time will tell.