Thread: General Sky Sports Rights
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 21:03   #3
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Sky Sports Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
What Sports does Sky currently have the rights to that won't be covered by a Specific Sport channel ie Sky Football ?

Off the top of my head I can think of

Rugby League
WWE (If you can even call that a Sport)
NFL
Tennis (not sure which events)

I'm sure people can think of many more , my train of thought is are these the Sports Sky is more willing to lose rather than getting in a bidding war for ?
Their deal with Matchroom Sports for boxing runs until 2021. Their deal with Matchroom for darts expires 2019.

Other than that I can't think of much else.

I wonder if the rise of apps might also sway SKY's future sports renewal decisions? It might also may play a factor in some sports decisions to agree a new deal. Tennis have their ATP live app, WWE have WWE Network and NFL have NFL Game Pass. Let's say none of these sports agree new deals with SKY, or jump to BT, and decide to beef up their apps offering in the UK i.e. Smackdown and Raw being added exclusively to WWE Network or more live games on NFL Game Pass etc.... If their sport is receiving little to no coverage on TV then are fans more likely to sign up to their services paying them money directly?

It could also work as a good strategy for SKY. Say they don't renew their rights deals and these sports do beef up their apps. Would SKY consider signing deals to have their apps feature exclusively on SKY Q? (Excusive in terms of pay TV) That way SKY can offer the sports to their customers without having to pay for the actual rights. SKY Customers can then chose to subscribe to these services to watch on their SKY Q box, or other smart devices, in addition to their SKY subscription.

Last edited by Chad; 05-07-2017 at 21:26.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote