View Single Post
Old 30-04-2006, 21:39   #8
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.
Re: Domestic & General Insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom
If it is the first claim you have made then you will still be well out of pocket. If the cost of the repair had been anywhere near £300 it would have been classed as BER (beyond economic repair)
It is worth noting that in fact all Hoover washing machines have a five year parts warranty so you would only have had to pay for the labour , if you had sent for Hoovers own engineers that would have cost around £79.00. Hotpoint machines have had a five year warranty for over 20 years, if you keep your machine for ten years and pay £90 per annum that will cost you £810 excluding the first years g/tee. Even allowing for the poor quality of all sub £300 machines on the market, very few of them would cost anywhere near that in repairs over that period of time on average. I have said many times and I reiterate, maintenance contracts on domestic appliances are good news for the insurer and for the very small percentage of customers who actually benefit from them. They are poor value for the vast majority of people. That said D&G have a very good reputation within our trade.
Our own machine, the ISE can be purchased for £390 or for £450, the latter price includes a full five year guarantee, now that is good value.
Well I think I got a good deal with them, if the machine and the Dyson breaks down I know I have decent cover from a decent company.