View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 16:51   #114
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think you're being unfair by characterising this issue as people calling each other names.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I think you're being extremely unfair by saying something I didn't.
I was referring to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Yes, 'offend' someone by calling them a name and virtually all hell breaks loose but suffer the real lasting trauma of a burglary and the actual invasion/theft/damage of your personal property and nobody seems to care.
Otherwise sorry if that's not what you meant.

Quote:
Even where the abuse is most appalling such as those you quoted, how many people actually sincerely believe that some nutter from the ether who spends their entire life in their bedroom spouting this garbage is really going to murder them or rape them for something they've said on the internet? No it's not pleasant at all, it's highly unpleasant but we do need to put things into perspective and that's all I'm trying to do.
I don't know but as a fairly anonymous white male it's not a problem I often face. Those that do face it however are pretty vocal about how horrible an experience it is. There will be many negative experiences in life I'll never be a position to relate to and in those cases it's sensible to listen to those who are at the receiving end and believe them that it's a harrowing way to live.

A good example would be to read the accounts of female game developers or journalists at the receiving end of Gamergate. People invading their social media accounts, e-mails, phone numbers to hurl abuse and threats at them: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...nal-spotlight/

Or what happened to Leslie Jones for daring to be a women in a Ghostbusters movie: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...f-leslie-jones

When these people are targeted they can't escape it.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote