View Single Post
Old 13-05-2011, 00:35   #1
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Superhub & Virgin Media Business

I am aware that Virgin Media Business are about to revamp their (outdated!) business cable broadband offerings to include a 50 Mb/s service shortly.

They will also offer a proper static IP address option (single or multiple address options).

All sounds great but they plan to use the Superhub to do this. In order to provide the Fixed IP addresses they will use the Superhub to form a L2TP tunnel into the Virgin media network. They have testers doign this now I gather.

Given that I want to upgrade from the 10 Mb/s VMB service to the 50 Mb/s one I am nervous about the Superhub replacing a rock solid stable Scientific Atlanta EPC2100 modem.

They will be offering a 'NO NAT' option whereby the LAN side of the Superhub will have a public routable IP address, hwoever to run the tunnel is going to put more of a load on the device.

I read with interest Ingi's experiences of his Superhub needing multiple reboots per day, and don't look forward to havign to do that.

Reading various posts here I know there are some that have no problems with the Superhub, but others do, especially when stressing it more. Given the extra configuration & load to operate the tunnel I am concerned about stability.

I assume that negotiations with this mystery new supplier of superhubs are too early for VMB to be using a version other than the Netgear.

However given that there will be a NO NAT option as well as tunning options this implies somethign about these Superbhubs will be different to those used for residential service.

Does anyone have any more insight into what will be used?
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote