Thread: Budget 2017
View Single Post
Old 23-11-2017, 20:23   #31
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Budget 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
As I've already said, I have no great philosophical preference for privatisation (quite the reverse in these cases) but I've stated my opinions and reasons for thinking that a) going back to nationalisation is impossible and b) the same old funding problems would reappear. Just to unravel it all would cost billions and that's before anything else got done. Frankly I don't think our politicians/political system is up to the task and it makes me sad to say it. Just look at the NHS and how hard it is to fund and reform it to deliver what we all want. I don't want to see it privatised but do think it could be far better and more efficiently run. Where does that leave us?
To unravel it you just take back control as the franchises expire. We already own Network Rail so the initial cost will be buying rolling stock and setting up a body to manage it all which can merge with Network Rail. I think fundamentally we need to have the people who manage the trains, track and own the trains all under one body.

The NHS is a different topic but I think behind all the concerns about the use of private companies, reorganisations, levels or lack thereof of middle men the biggest problem is money. The pressures of an ageing and obese population combined with the cost of all the new treatments that keep us all live longer. It could be more efficient too but it would be interesting to compare it's waste to other health systems. Still the NHS is a huge further topic
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote