View Single Post
Old 15-02-2004, 17:33   #14
Anastasis
Inactive

Anastasis is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cheap Domain registration and web hosting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor
Just ignore the forwarding stuff mate. If you go into the 123reg control panel you'll find Change Nameservers at the bottom. Its just a case of adding the name servers of the i-web hosting in there. Your domain name is still registered with 123reg, but when you type in www.mysistersdomain.co.uk it doesn't go anywhere near 123reg anymore, it just looks up the webspace at i-web. Hope that makes sense
Thanks for your help with that - I would have done completely the wrong thing. I've registered my sister-in-laws domain at 123reg, so all I think that remains is do now is to sign up with i-web.

With the matter of the above, does that mean that when someone types in www.mydomain.co.uk this is looked up somewhere and gets referred to the nameserver at a web host who in turn redirects to the physical area on their servers?

How does a novice like me find out these things other than finding forums like these and getting help from more knowledgeable guys like you and others on here? It seems like a bit of a minefield. There must be beginners guides to this sort of stuff.

Anyway, thanks again for your help - it is much appreciated!
Anastasis is offline   Reply With Quote