View Single Post
Old 26-01-2015, 13:43   #63
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
It's not about being stuck in my ways, I can't see how the scenario you're outlining is better. I, and everybody, would need a stable unlimited broadband connection, to know that there weren't capacity issues in my area and that we'd always have speeds capable of delivering hd telly. We would have no choice to access tv but to pay the licence fee AND a broadband subscription, and that's before you take into account that literally everybody else in the country would be doing the same. You think evening is peak time for broadband now?

Not only is it a long long way off, we already have a system that works, backed up well by internet based solutions. Wanting to keep it isn't a case of being stuck in our ways! It's an acknowledgement that things are already pretty good.

If your question is what's wrong with moving to the system you've outlined then I think your question is wrong. It should be what's right with it? And I think part of the answer is that we are simply nowhere near the infrastructure, or the desire, or even the necessity, required.
Well, I would say that the situation I have described is better because you don't have to be a slave to the decisions of the programme schedulers - you can see the programme whenever you want to - and you don't have to put up with all those advertisements.

I appreciate that there are things that need to be sorted out first, such as giving everyone access to broadband at an appropriate speed, but I do think that this is about 10 years + away. I'm sure it will come, though.

Incidentally, don't most people pay a broadband subscription already? And if there has to be a TV licence, it is only fair that anyone with access to BBC programmes should pay it.

That's not to say that I necessarily agree with the TV licence, by the way!

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Lol,"stuck in your own ways of doing things"? It could be that, or it could just be that I prefer the current system. I will enjoy binge watching House Of Cards next month, but I am enjoying the wait between Broadchurch episodes more. It allows me to think about the show and all it's intricacies when I am bored lumping stock out at work.

BTW, I am not against it, as long the companies allow us to watch/record the shows as we currently do. I will be happy for those who want shows "on-demand".
Yes Harry, but there's nothing to prevent you from leaving a week between viewing from a list of programmes on the schedule.

I have watched House of Cards, Breaking Bad and Orange is the New Black on Netflix, but I didn't 'binge watch' them just because the whole series was on there. I watched a programme every week.

That's me set in my ways!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote