View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 20:05   #40
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of
Re: Windows 7 TCP/IP tweaks - Tune your internet connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croftie View Post
Hi Andy, are these still the recommended settings? I have XP tweaked and working well on a high speed wired connection but now have a W7 PC to optimise for wireless. Cheers.
Hiya. Well, things have moved on a bit (this is an old thread).

These days, whether you are using WinXP, Vista or 7, you can download 'TCP Optimizer' from here:

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

The settings should largely be the same as I have recommended before but this is a little more user friendly and has even more things to tweak. For Win 7 I have used the 'optimal' settings except I have set 'ECN Capability' to enabled (which is fine for most people's hardware and causes no issue with EA's web site or games any more). You can still use my test link to check your PC's ECN capability.

Note that ECN is not available for WinXP. Also, this is not about 'optimizing for wireless'. This is about getting the best TCP/IP transfer speeds which will affect both your wired and wireless connections. A poor wireless configuration can still cause issue beyond TCP/IP configuration.

For your wireless settings, scan the area for other wlans using the free utility 'Inssider' on your wireless PC. Set your router to use the best channel you can find (not 'Auto'). Also, make sure your router is set to only use WPA2 with AES encryption for your wireless. Due to the standards, AES must be supported in hardware, which means your laptop's wlan card will do all the encrypting PC side. If you end up using TKIP encryption then it may well (read 'almost certainly') be done on your laptop's CPU in software. May as well offload where you can.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote