View Single Post
Old 14-06-2010, 15:00   #32
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Windows 7 TCP/IP tweaks - Tune your internet connection

you correct that XP's defaults are indeed more suitable for dialup.

The defaults only improve on XP if the lan connection is gigabit.

The main problem I have discovered with win7/vista auto tuning is it changes the window size in big chunks instead of small amounts at a time and of course it has no proper manual overide.

The autotuning works well enough on my VM 20mbit connection however on my adsl which can now only manage about 3-4mbit throughput it doesnt increase the tcp window beyond the non scaling enough. Still a big improvement over XP defaults tho.

To say no tuning is advised tho I am not so sure. A known tweak that is a positive the majority of the time is to enable CTCP congestion provider which makes it deal with things like congestion and packet loss much better. Also makes it burst up better to faster speeds on fast lan's. Some routers are unable to handle autotuning in which case a 2nd tweak is to disable autotuning which will also disable tcp scaling and force it to a permanent rwin of around 64k depending on the mss value.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote